How to Zoom In and Out on the Computer
Last Updated on May 12, 2021 by Travis Kipp
Just like everything else on your computer, you need to see web pages at the zoom level you want. While some websites have large fonts others are small. The ability to zoom in and zoom out gives you the freedom to set the right size for your eyes. If you suffer from macular degeneration, you will appreciate this feature. Even if your vision is not impaired, it’s still nice to know in case something is too small even for someone with good vision to see. You can zoom in when the screen is too far or set to high resolution and zoom out to ease navigation on websites with large fonts. But how can you do this?
On Windows Computers
The Magnifier will allow you to zoom in and out on anything on Windows.
- Press the Windows key and + key simultaneously to zoom in.
- Similarly, press the Windows key and – key simultaneously to zoom out.
- To return the default zoom, simply press the Windows key and – until the display looks normal.
You do not only have to use the keyboard. You can also use your mouse to zoom in or zoom out. Press on the control or command key and then scroll the wheel of the mouse and the text will change its size as you wish. This is particularly easy and more often than not it happens by mistake. You may notice all over a sudden that your web page’s fonts are looking bigger or smaller. This could be because you accidentally made this command. Easily undo it using either of the methods we have described above.
You can Set a Default Zooming Level for all Web Pages
If you find the need to have a specific zoom level on all sites you visit, you can set a level you are comfortable with depending on your eyesight and the device you are using. Here is how you can do this on commonly used browsers:
- Click on the menu button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on ‘Options’.
- Under the general tab, scroll down to the the “Language and Appearance” section.
- There is a “Zoom” section where you can select the level you want for all web pages. There’s also an option to only change the size of text. If this is what you want, check the box next to “Zoom text only”.
- When you close the settings window your changes are saved automatically.
Changing the zoom level on a specific page is quite simple. Simply click the three horizontal lines on the far right corner of the window. Near the top of the menu, there’s a plus and minus button. These adjust the zoom on the current page. To reset the zoom level back to 100%, simply click the button between the minus and plus symbols.
- Click on the three buttons at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings”. This will open a page with many other options.
- On the left side of screen, click on “Appearance”.
- Choose the zooming level you want ranging from 25% to 500%.
To change the zoom level on a specific page, simply click the three buttons at the top right corner of screen. Under zoom, click the minus symbol to zoom out and the plus button to zoom in respectively.
- Click on the three dots at the top right of the browser.
- Select on “Settings”.
- Click Appearance on the left side of the screen.
- Under “Page zoom”, you will see a drop down menu from which you can select the default zoom level you want.
To change one webpage’s zoom level on Google Chrome, click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the window. Near the center of the menu is the option to change the zoom level. Increase or decrease it to your desired settings. Next to the plus button is a button which makes the browser full screen to eliminate all distractions.
You deserve to use a website at its best appearance depending on your preferences. With the above information you will find it really easy to zoom in or out on a web page. You can either use keyboard shortcuts or the mouse to make the website appear perfect.
With specific browser zooming settings, you can set all web pages to the same level. Specific websites can also be set to unique settings depending on how the sites are developed. Zoom in on small and illegible pages to make them visible and zoom out web pages with extremely large appearances.
You can change the appearance of fonts only or change the entire page. If you are only interested in the written content the prior is more suitable but if you want to check out everything on that page the latter is your best option.